Friday, 23 October 2009

There was more adventure, (aka, Will they never learn)

There was more adventure, (aka, Will they never learn)
Well, don't say nothing happens in India when you are in relaxation mode. While we did have a completely relaxing day, only a short trip to the mall, late in the day. I have to admit that a few breaks were necessary, but not as many. On my last day in Shimla where we really pushed the boundaries, this was supposed to be a running around and doing all the stuff I wanted to do before leaving this great location, (some shopping, some money exchange, final hotel booking).

The adventure started with a walk up the hill to the taxi stand, (I left early, so I would not slow down my hosts), and then we took a local bus. Yes, a local bus, while we did not brave this during rush hour, it was pretty crowded. However, the other passengers were very polite, with men giving up their seat to women. I am not sure how the conductor keeps track or even moves on the bus, but he is responsible for collecting the fare. A daunting task, given that there are two doors, and the aisle is packed with people.

After a number of attempts. (American Traveler's checks) are not as widely accepted as American dollars, we finally managed to find a place that would do currency exchange, and take travelers checks. After this it was off to find some shops to buy some stuff, (i.e., a notebook, day bag, and some post cards). We also had some "Indian Chinese" food, I am not exactly sure if this is better than the North American version but it is quite flavourful it is eaten with a fork, not Roti breads like all other meals.

We also met one of Ruby's brothers friend, and we strolled along the mall until we reached that area, which foreign nationals, in fact anyone should not enter without permission, Yes, it was a military zone. After a quick photo op, which caused much laughter among the local vendor's in the area, our new friend took us through the gate, and up the the officer's club. Of course, this would not have been that big a deal, if not for the fact that just over a week ago, we were fled from a possible international incident. Of course, I am sure we would not have been thrown into a military jail, but....

Next: How to travel 300 KM, in only 10 hours.

No comments: