Friday, 23 October 2009

Now my trip is complete, I can leave India, saying I experienced it all

Well, after a somewhat later start caused by the traffic in Delhi we made it to Jaipur, and eventually found the hotel. Even though we still asked for directions, The guide book, (India: Lonely Planet) and the India Road Atlas & State Distance guide proved useful, well for me anyway, as it helped me orientate myself in this historical city. After checking in and putting away my bags, I wanted to go and see at least one place, since tomorrow will be a very busy day. Unfortunately, we arrived as they were closing the gates at one place (Jantar Mantar), and only 15 minutes remained at the other place (City Palace) , and the cheap economist in me, said "No Way" we will try to jam everything in tomorrow, besides I have a few blogs to post, and some pictures and video to upload.

Well, I was not going to write about our little incident in Delhi, but given the two events that happened today, I figured that I might as well. One of the things that also happened in Delhi was the Vehicle-pedestrian interaction. I suspect that this happens on a regular basis. although I suspect our incident was pretty mild, or at least the cab driver never stopped. I really don't think he could have, without causing a vehicle-vehicle interaction. In Jaipur, we had at least one vehicle-vehicle interaction, although there may have been another. In this case, the car was hit from behind by a motorcycle, although the guys was pretty friendly, he smiled as he pulled up beside us, "No blood, No Foul".

The other incident, happened because they turned a major roadway into a one-way road only. This meant that we could not get back to the hotel the same way we left it, so we had to take back roads until we could get back on the right path. Well, after going in one direction, and then another, and finally another, we came back to the main road, unfortunately, it was still a one-way in the wrong direction. At this point, the driver made an executive decision, and drove the wrong way down the street. Everything was ok, until we were caught by the traffic police. I have to hand it to Harnek, (my driver), he tried really hard to get out of a ticket. I even think he went back to the street and showed there were no signs, (always try the ignorance card). Later, I heard that for only $200 rupees, he would forget he saw anything illegal. However, since Harnek is a very honest fellow, he decided to take the ticket. In this case, this was the most economical decision, as the ticket was only $100 Rupees.

Next: The Pink Palace and how to tell time without a clock

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not alone... in case of emergency post something to your blog and we'll send out a search party.

Karen said...

Ha ha! Lesson learned. The bribe should always be less than the actual fine!

David Orr said...

You haven't had traveller's dysentery so you haven't experienced all the joys.......yet.